Friday, November 28, 2008

How many trips to Home Depot are required to .......

do any home improvement project....... the world will never know? (paraphrasing one of my favorite tootsie roll pop commercials) Ant least in in our home it is always 2 more than you had planned on!!!!!



This is one of those things that can cause Eric and I to fight or argue more than any thing!!!!! Examples:

  • When one of us cuts the wood wrong (OK IT IS ERIC!!!!!) and I have a table leg that is 30 inches and three that are 37 inches........... and you can never glue that piece back on...... SO IT IS GRUMPILY one of us (USUALLY ME) goes back to the store for...... more wood or more screws or more wire

  • we are enlarging the kids play loft for Christmas this year...... last weekend he and our helper worked for hours (by the way Eric's estimate for the whole project was 5 hours...... and it is still not done to where I wanted it last weekend..... different story and different issue) they cut all the loft legs at 4 foot...... SOME OF MY KIDS ARE TALLER THAN 4 foot!!!!! THEY WOULD HIT THEIR HEADS!!!! and it was at 4' and the directions I left said 5 '....... but hey who reads directions....... SO REALLY REALLY GRUMPILY this pregnant lady goes back to Home Depot to buy 5 more 4" x 4" x 10' pieces .....

Now of course you would think I could find help loading my cart, or what I need is always on the second shelf up........ so no orange smocked people in sight..... I manage to get them into the lumber cart...... course then someone shows up and offers to push it up tot he front by the way!

I but the staple gun he is going to need cause ours evaporated into thin air....... and I am not coming back when he realizes it........ I also get a GFCI outlet to replace one (another project which I am sure will take 3 x as long as it should..... not Eric's fault though..... every time we mess with the electrical in this house or change something out I am surprised it hasn't burned down yet (to date over 18K in electrical repairs...... and still going by the way)......

I check out and of course she pages someone to help me load them...... 10 minutes no luck..... so I give up and put them in the van myself!!!!!!

So far we are on two trips to Home Depot and one to Wal-Mart for this project........ we have to go buy more wood for the steps and the railing today......... I am hoping for only one trip....... but I really doubt it!

And of course when this project is done...... we are knocking out / taking out some walls downstairs and that will be even more fun next weekend!

I am glad though that Colin and Adrian love going to the home improvement stores........ cause we spend a lot of time there!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You need to change your "About Me". You now have 7 beautiful children ages 20 months to 8 years. And you have 5 with an extra chromosome. - Mom