Friday, January 23, 2009

The mudane and the utterly ridiculous!

Besides my spelling ability! There are so many things in life that you are required to do...... just to check it off on a piece of paper so someone can justify their job or some thing that it literally can cause me to scream!


(CAN YOU ALL TELL I HAVE SPENT TO LONG IN THE NICU TODAY)

Today I found out all the things I have to do to get my son out of the hospital. Ironically the least of which is him actually breathing on his own!


Eric and I (now remember Eric could not even have his name on the baby till I got discharged from the hospital he was baby boy LEAHY-SMITH!) have to take CPR classes ; watch different 2 videos, have our car seat checked and go to a preemie bonding class.


The CPR class makes sense to me (except we are both already certified cause of the adoption and good through April) ..... but they don't have a spot for "have cards/or currently certified" so we have to take it miss 2 hours of our life....... then we have to watch a video on car seats and another on shaken baby syndrome.

Again irony of irony...... we have seven kids, I just bought 6 new car seats (I now have 8 of them)........ $220 each for the van........ they are great ones (radian 80.....5 point harness to 80 lbs and goes as low as 5 lbs) and I love them!
I have been using car seats for almost 9 years now and I find it ironic to watch a video on how to install, and why we need to use them. I honestly think I could pay a semester (possibly 2) of my nanny's college tuition with the dollars I have spent on car seats over the last 8+ years!!!!!. HECK I wish we had seats that restrained them in other places too (like restaurants or the ball game or the zoo)


But that also could be why I have to watch shaken babies..... course again after 7 kids, five home studies and all our adoption classes you would think that this has been covered and we have at least proven our ability to parent without this.... but alas I guess that 35 minute video will fix this ability in some parents or present something that will keep a normal person from doing this...... again time I am not getting back!


Preemie bonding, we seem to breasting feeding well.... so I am thinking my bonding is going as well as it can when I am not in my own home, with all the kids, and having to have 10-20 interruptions every hour into our life (from weighing the poop nappies, to alarms always going off somewhere, to people in the hall to lights, and vitals........ plus the normal baby issues we have!)


Speaking of bonding Eric got to hold him today for the first time. It has been because he was sick and we needed to wait till his antibiotics kicked in till he could hold him, cause Eric had a really sore throat and a slight head cold for a few days.... but it never stopped him from visiting, or bringing me to the hospital or from singing to him while he was here . (Emerson really likes to hear his dad sing!)

So I am happy the two of them can start bonding. I guess it is like me with his penis...... I finally got to be sure he was a boy when I got to change his diaper myself (he was 7 days old at that time) up until then I had been taking every one's word for it! We just have to do it when we can and when we are able all will be revealed. By the way Daddy and him looked so cute and comfortable! Like slipping into your favorite pj's or a well worn pair of shoes...... it was beautiful to see them together. It almost made me cry our last little baby!
Emerson UPDATE:
He is up 28.5 grams (or paper clips) since yesterday is a 1/4 inch longer since birth, his PIC line is out and all IV's and supplemental feed are ceased, he is eating at the breast when mom and breats are in the same room with him! He got to meet Kayla and she got to love on him a ton! And Eric sang the entire 2nd half of Jesus Christ Superstar to him this afternoon!

2 comments:

JennyH said...

He is so cute. Looks like he is getting some chubby checks already. Glad Eric got to hold him-finally.

Yeah, you would think that with all your experience you could skip most of that other stuff. I would point out to someone in change that you are CPR certified. That is crazy to take it again.

Kim said...

He is absolutely beautiful!