Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Tater Tot and the Valentine

I had a horrible start to my Valentines Day this morning. I came to the hospital Friday night about 9:30 pm after a fun afternoon with the kids, Colin's valentine party and the ice cream to celebrate Melea's birthday and about two hours of six of us pigging out on all the Valentine's candy. So I was tired when I got here........

Emerson had a new nurse who fed him yesterday and he broke his streak of no heart rate drops!!!!! I was crying...... I had been so excited when they said he was going to get to go home after we waited four days with no drops...... well we had made almost 72 hours and I had started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Well then he had two with me when we were breast feeding and another when he was sucking his finger. He can not a;ways process the sucking, breathing, eating and "farting" thing at one time. You have to watch him cause one of them needs to stop (ironically my son chooses to stop breathing and then drop his heart rate dangerously low and turn purple!)

So hear I sat in the parents lounge waiting for my breakfast to come up pouting and crying...... I was frustrated cause we weren't going home, I was frustrated cause we were going on seven weeks here, I was frustrated cause I just ordered the same breakfast I have eaten for the last 30+ days and I just wanted hash brown...... but they are only on the kids menu, no the parents.....

So I am just looking like an idiot, and up comes my tray...... I sign for it and still am teary eyed (Like I can make him quit having these drops or make them let me take him home.....and I have been considering stealing / kidnapping him when I come in so late at night and am just sitting here) well on my tray are tater tots! OK they are not hash browns, but they are closer than I have ever gotten.

It was a mistake, but it made me stop and realize that maybe I can't have everything the way I want it....... but at least I can get something..... and I smile a little. I then move my milk and under it is a valentine. My kids remembered and all made me things, but Eric has had no time to get me anything and we usually don't go out..... but I am wanting someone to tell me how special I am (not cause of my kids or the time I put in) but because they really like me! Well I get a sponge bob valentine from a little child named Dylan!

I have grown to love sponge bob over the last year and it is depicting my favorite episode...... where sponge bob and Patrick are playing in a box! They use their imagination and making believe and driving Squidward nuts!!!!! This just made me chuckle.... cause I love this episode and I know that their are some new episodes premiering on Monday and I actually am planning on watching them! (IRONIC ISN'T it!!!!!)

So this little mistake of the tater tots and piece of paper from a "Dylan" who was probably forced to write this in school made a very say and depressed lady realize that Monday may not be our dismissal day but Tuesday could be!

(Doctors said he is still going home and not to cry later...... it will just be when home health gets everything set up!!!!)

2 comments:

JennyH said...

So glad he will be home soon. Max was in the NICU for 4 days after he was born. Those days felt like forever! I cannot imagine 7 weeks. It's getting closer though. Just keep thinking that!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!