Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Eric versus the camera!

We...all of us have been working on making a video for a little boy we are considering adopting.


Somehow I always have a way of turning a small project into something huge! (the back yard play set, the lofts, the beds, to name a few) .

Well I guess I should start at he beginning.....


Almost ten years ago we had a beautiful and wonderful exchange student from Japan. Yoko was amazing and a whole lot of fun! Well when she returned to Japan.... she couldn't fit her video camera in..... it was something not sold in US at that time (she even had to sen us the Mini DV's for several years till they finally jumped the ocean and began selling this type of device here.

I was really excited, cause I didn't have a camcorder at that time, it was way cooler than anything available and so much smaller. Only one major problem..... all the buttons and manual in Japanese and neither Eric or I speak Japanese.


So over the years we have tried to figure it out, we have mainly used it as a monitor for theater projects, and occasionally making a tape or two (Extreme makeover home owners) and a few of the kids. We have always had big plans to get a new camera over the last 7 years.... but never have.


So over two weeks ago, mt kid wrangler and I got it out and spend about 4 hours trying to make it work..... you really wouldn't think it would be that hard..... but it was. the battery is no longer holding a charge so you have to use the power supply and a long cord. Then we can't make it work.... I search the web for a crash course in Japanese and camcorders.


I am so desperate because, the house was clean (so I wouldn't be embarrassed by how it looks on the tape) . I have help to make it that is not just Adrian and the kids are all dresses up and ready and excited. Still no luck...we waste so much time that Eric finally gets home... of course he takes 3 minutes and it just works perfectly for him. (GRRRRRR from both me and Kayla and Adrian is laughing so hard that she pees her pants...literally)

So we shoot about an hour of video..... and then put the camera away. We all decided we would shoot outside tomorrow cause the weather is supposed to be in the mid 60's and that would be a whole lot of fun!


As amazing as it sounds the next day it won't work again!!!!!!!!! We wait for Eric to get home, no luck this time (at least I know I am not as stupid as I look...cause he isn't doing any better)
I send him to Radio Shack to see if they have a plug or a converter or anything....no luck! Nothing available online either that is under 200 $ plus shipping!

So we make a new plan. Kayla is going to bring her 8mm camera and we will shoot what we didn't and then put the stuff we already shot on it after I buy a new one after Eric gets paid next.


So we plan to buy a new camera next pay day, we finish the video on 8mm, Kayla and I feel so vindicated that we get the 8mm stuff transferred to the cassette. A friend volunteers to put the other from the mini DV onto the cassette for me. I am so elated!

Then I realize that the mini dv tape is in the camera. No power to the camera so it ca not eject!!!! Ok I try all the normal things, to pry it out.... no luck. As with all the "to tight" lids on the applesauce and the impossible caps on the soda, I decide to do what every good wife does!!! I sick my husband on it!


Again I am thinking he will just "Pry it out" with a bigger screw driver! It will take maybe 3-5 minutes at the most. Well 45 minutes, almost 70 little screws and many curse words I am hoping Adrian and Colin do not repeat (finally a reason to be glad he doesn't talk). I hear ..... I did it! I have one tape! To give to my friend to finish dubbing !!!..... a huge mess.


Eric is so proud that he has finally beat the camcorder, he finally is the " supreme" over an electronic device. It is laying in many pieces with a zillion screws and little metal clips every where. It is like he is a great knight and he finally slew that dragon that has been tormenting him for years.


The ironic dragon is standing in for all those electronic equipment we own that still is blinking the time.... cause it is too much of a pain to reset each power blink.


So thanks for getting our tape back Eric and the entertainment you provided us while doing it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

Anonymous said...

Our bar association and CFSA both subscribe to the highest. Military Loans middot Business Cash Advance middot Faxless Cash Advances That39s why. You can be approved for free cash advance instantly and not worry about credit. [url=http://viiumft.rahuketu.net/map.html]cash advance in indiana[/url] Cash Advance Responds to Harvest Difficulties. Need Cash What you need to know before taking it from a credit card. Bankruptcy Attorney and Bankruptcy Law Firms in USA.